“Some things in life are certain: death, taxes and the inevitable demise of your favourite t-shirt.”
T-shirts can suffer from a wide range of problems, including shrinkage, fading of colours and/or print, cracks, tears and even loose threads. While no t-shirt can last a lifetime, there are some steps you can take to make a t-shirt last an additional year or two.
1. Always turn your t-shirts inside out before putting them into the washer. This is to protect the print and colours of your t-shirts during the washing process.
Image : Unsplash
2. Separate your t-shirts. Do not wash them together with clothings of different colours and fabrics.
3. Always read the care label and follow the instructions.
4. When you hang your t-shirts out to dry, turn them inside out to prevent the sunlight from causing the colours on your t-shirts to fade.
5. Do not use detergents that contain bleach, as bleach can remove the dye from your t-shirts. Use a stain remover that is developed specially for coloured shirts instead.
6. Use lukewarm water with mild detergent for t-shirts that are made from dyed combed cotton.
Image : Unsplash
7. If you do not wear a particular t-shirt often, fold it and store it inside a cabinet or wardrobe instead of putting it on a hanger.
8. Avoid ironing your t-shirts unless necessary. If you need to iron your t-shirts, turn the apparels inside out before ironing and use a low setting on your iron to prevent damage to the prints.
We hope the tips above will help you prolong the lifespan of your t-shirts in one way or another. And, if you know someone who is always in worn-out t-shirts, be a good buddy and share with them this article.